Wednesday, September 22, 2010

One person CAN make a difference

     So there I was, at the orientation for the kid's new school looking lost as ever, if I had passed a mirror I probably would have seen a sign on my forehead attesting to the fact that I was new and had no clue about what I was doing or where I should go.  There were a few who pointed me in this direction or that direction and plenty who offered a welcome or kind word...but there was one who sought me out even after orientation was over and extended an invitation...

     Since that first invitation there have been many others as this one continued to extend herself in order to make me feel welcome and less overwhelmed with all that was new and sometimes confusing.  From practical things like how to find places and where to park, to more personal things like a cook-out at her home and lunch out, she was a known face in a sea of many who sought me out and made me feel like I didn't have to figure out everthing on my own.

    Her sacrifice, and I do believe she made a sacrifice of her own comfort for the chance of making me more comfortable, will be one in which is first and foremost on my mind when I find myself at orientation next year.  Hopefully, not so lost and not so clueless, I'll be able to reach out to another with the same "sign" on her forehead as this one did for me and help her to see that feeling at "home" in a new place is closer than she thinks.  Thank you Sondra. :-)

     There is One who made the ultimate sacrifice for us.  Laying down His own comfort, His own life even, so that we could spend eternity at "home" with Him.  He too extends an invitation to us.  I was blessed with the reminder, on a human level, of just how big a difference ONE can make. 

"But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places, in Christ Jesus, in order that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus."  Ephesians 2:4-7

1 comment:

  1. You did that for our family when we first moved here. You made our summer wonderful! You also helped Bailey meet the classmates she would have so she could know somebody on her first day of school. You are my sister and I love you! I am so glad that you met someone who did for you what you did for us!
    Janice and the Chan Clan

    ReplyDelete